so much for ekphrasis

beat through
softer stone?

(if i carve this
poem in Carrara,
will you still
feel its pulse?)

You’ll notice there’s no image here. I wasn’t sure about copyright protection of images of Gian Lorenzo Berninis sculpture on which this poem is based. The piece is called Apollo e Dafne, and is housed in the Galleria Borghese in Rome. You can view it, and read a little about Bernini and the history of the piece (which he did begin at the age of 24) here.
About these ads

1. imagery so picture perfect!

April 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

2. ihatepoetry

That’s my biggest fear with the present cyber culture – nothing is carved in stone. It’s all malleable, all virtual, editable. What will stand the test of time, I mean, apart from your poetry? :) Well written and thoughtful piece. Thanks!

April 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm

• lol, mosk. very funny. glad you enjoyed. :)

April 18, 2012 at 11:34 am

3. At 24 you ain’t ready for even mere crayons. On the other hand I did carve my first chess piece at 15 (the black king)with no formal training. Re image – there is much dispute but as long as it is in the public domain and you credit it and make no money off it. it seems like anything goes. Just like footnotes on research paper. If you can contact the artist in a prompt manner I would ask permission(usually always granted) for the sole reason that gives your presentation enhanced academic legitimacy by “with the courtesy of….” as part of the post. I did that with some photo essays on my blog. Ultimately I have no real ability copyright or not over whether anyone steals and reproduces my cartoons for profit. Just retaining a copyright lawyer would be $10,000….

April 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm

• Carl, i don’t think it’s worth all the trouble. but thanks for the suggestions. and if what they say is true, Bernini really did start this sculpture at age 24. a-frickin-mazing. :)

April 18, 2012 at 11:33 am

4. i think all art finds its place…and all has the ability to move…standing in fron of the statue of the father and all his chidlren perishing in hell…agiolio or something like that it was def moving…as do words…i fidn they do better carved in skin…smiles.

April 17, 2012 at 5:10 pm

5. Beautiiful, imagery, even without the image.

April 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm

6. Very nice work here.

We all find our art at one point. Just takes time is all. Well, I like to think we will.

April 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm

7. leahJlynn

Yes , art is seemly artificial rather than evolving. But Non the less your classic. A martini pls.

April 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm

8. It makes me sad to be in this 21st Century, but I loved the poem. It’s nice to be 24 when you are as wise and artistic as any 84.

I missed the public domain dispute.

April 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm

• I’m sorry – Now I understand that there was no dispute, just question.

April 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm

9. Thought-provoking… I love the ending.

April 17, 2012 at 10:36 pm

10. The answer is yes, we would feel its pulse still!

April 18, 2012 at 4:30 am

• Thanks, Samuel! I was hoping to hear that.

April 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

11. I love this…I love the sculpture. I saw it when I was in Rome…I love his sculptures they are so true to life. :)

April 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm

12. Interesting question to think about… Great write!

April 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

13. I love the part about carving the poem toward the end. Something about that caught at me.

Dan

April 25, 2012 at 1:19 am

14. interesting poem… nice write and thought provoking!

April 25, 2012 at 2:38 am

15. On most Wednesdays I am going to feature guest post, mostly poets that follow me. If you would like to participate please see post May 9. Send brief bio and pic like Lauren did. Select one fav poem of yours. Send both as jpeg. Thanks

May 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm

• thanks, Carl, for the opportunity. will send on the requested info.

May 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

16. Cool. Will also ask Carl(above) stillfugue to participate. I like his stuff too.

May 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 439 other followers