the last poem

pipeline in flood

at the end,
i don’t know that we are any better off.

the rains have stopped
and everything green
is growing, but we still don’t
have travel plans,
and tomorrow is anyone’s guess.

the squirrels got the first
strawberries, and the red
rose is set
to open its first blooms
any day now.

i got through without owing in taxes.
i can hear church bells
with the front door open.
sometimes you return my texts.
some nights we sleep like lovers.

it is the first of May,
and the river calls.
you told me yesterday: three
cars tumbled in, spilling
crude somewhere

upstream. i don’t know
if it was a result
of the storms, or
our negligence.
it will reach here,

they say, but not when.

About these ads

1. K. A. Brace

Reblogged this on The Mirror Obscura and commented:
    I thought this a beautifully crafted poem. >KB

May 1, 2014 at 12:14 pm

• Thank you, K.A. I’m honored by the reblog! Thanks for shedding a little extra light on this piece!
      Cheers,
      Joanna

May 2, 2014 at 7:10 am

• K. A. Brace

Joanna, it was an excellent poem. I received myself a number of comments. I hope you got some traffic and exposure from it. It is well deserved. >KB

May 2, 2014 at 7:25 am

2. ItMatterstoGrey

I love it, I just started following your blog. I love a good muse, my blog is dedicated to the muse who inspired me.

May 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm

• Thank you & welcome! I’ll be sure to drop by your site. :)

May 6, 2014 at 11:26 am

3. very beautiful, poignant in its directness.

May 1, 2014 at 1:00 pm

4. I love the tone of this poem, a bit of pensive hopefulness. You recapped April beautifully, and I hope it’s true that you didn’t owe taxes this year LOL. I guess we’ll see about that oil soon enough. As you said, tomorrow is anyone’s guess.

May 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm

• Finally getting a chance to catch up a little here! it IS true about the taxes, by the way. ;) As always, appreciate your stopping by. :)

May 6, 2014 at 11:50 am

5. This is an achingly beautiful and heartbreaking poem. Thank you so very, very much. I also thanked KB for re-blogging it.

May 1, 2014 at 3:25 pm

• I appreciate that so much, John; thank you. And for passing thanks on to KB as well.

May 6, 2014 at 11:52 am

6. hey that happened in my back yard….wrote about it today too…and they say it will be fine…no damage you know….ugh….an interesting contrast too between spring and such an environmental mess….

May 2, 2014 at 8:34 am

• Yeah it did! I was wondering if you had seen it or would be affected by it. Ugh indeed. Hope what they say is true.

May 6, 2014 at 11:58 am

7. Reblogged this on davidwebbblog and commented:
    Please enjoy this beautifully crafted poem posted on a blog I follow.

David!

May 2, 2014 at 10:06 am

8. Found the poem intriguing…always enjoy your writings.

May 2, 2014 at 6:43 pm

• Thanks. :) Based on true (local) events.

May 6, 2014 at 12:12 pm

9. I like the first-person recollection and all the senses engaged. What do the cars in the river mean? Who can say? Hope this is not your last poem. :)

May 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm

• Hi Mosk!! It was just the last poem of April–no worries! :) The cars in the river… anout the train carrying oil that tumbled into the James near where Brian lives, not too far from here. I believe he wrote about it too. Nice to hear from you!

May 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 437 other followers