found and lost

I pass my days floating
low in the clear waters of
late summer’s heedless oblivion,
skin warmed by a sun whose
heartbeat is never quite strong
enough to burn the winter
out of my soul.  Caged by salt-
streaked bones lies a conscience
both weak and heavy, waiting
while my eyes scan ever
the horizon, searching
for a truth they won’t recognize:
I was not meant
for paradise.

1. Gaurav Sharma

Wisely and perfectly written ! 🙂

August 12, 2010 at 11:39 am

2. fantastic poem. oh Fall, where are you?

August 12, 2010 at 1:20 pm

3. As always, I am touched by what you write. You express a yearning for something not defined & perhaps not definable,with which I can identify. – Bill

August 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm

4. Pingback: Thursday Poets Rally Week 26 (August 12-18) | Jingle

5. this is stunning…
    love the image and your words are beautiful.
    😉

August 12, 2010 at 2:42 pm

6. thanks for doing an excellent job in the Rally…
    Happy Thursday!
    Your contribution is unique and appreciated.

August 12, 2010 at 2:43 pm

7. I always appreciate contrast between conscience and lies. Well done.

August 12, 2010 at 3:34 pm

8. Nice poem. Your ending brings such a sad note of unattainability.

August 12, 2010 at 5:16 pm

• Thanks, M. Interestingly, it was the ending that inspired the rest of the piece and set the tone for the whole thing. Glad you liked it.

August 12, 2010 at 5:20 pm

9. Thanks Gaurav; I’m flattered. 🙂

southernmusings, it’s been far too long since I paid you a visit; must get there soon. (Before Fall, hopefully 🙂 )

Always a pleasure Rev Bill; and you’re completely right: undefined yearning runs through all too many of my thoughts these days…

Thanks for stopping by, Jingle, and for putting together these Rallies. Such a great way to get to know the work of fellow writers!

Prepuzio, you’re welcome here any time!

ciao 🙂
    jsl

August 12, 2010 at 5:18 pm

10. oh my my !!! What feeling in those words…
    The last line was so reflective and stinging!! It was like a slap on the face!!!

A really beautiful read..

August 12, 2010 at 6:14 pm

11. A great poem. I love the last line.

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm

12. “enough to burn the winter/out of my soul.” perfect summer weather. I can not agree with you. Perhaps it is my Caribbean blood but I am definitely meant for paradise. All depending if you believe your paradise to be sandy beaches or snowy icebergs. Some people function better in vacations instead of residing in paradise. Either way it was a great read.

August 13, 2010 at 12:56 am

13. A very dark poem… the tone is bitter and melancholy… great job, Siubhan 🙂

August 13, 2010 at 7:48 am

14. Jessica

That last line is so moving. Enjoyed my visit here!

August 13, 2010 at 9:44 am

15. This one is great.
    Very subtle and imaginative

August 13, 2010 at 10:50 am

16. Thanks Imagina, art. Always a pleasure.

Kavita, Jessica, frayed: you cut right to the heart of it–the last line was meant to be the heart-stopper, the bitterness in the dregs 🙂

splash–snow or sun, it can be taken metaphorically. glad you liked it.

peace
    jsl

August 13, 2010 at 11:01 am

17. Pingback: The Celebrate Poet of July Award Nominations Announcement | Promising Poets' Parking Lot

18. An absolute wonderful read…that last line blew my away…thanks for sharing your talent xx

August 13, 2010 at 7:29 pm

19. I was lost in your beautiful eloquent style, and did not want the poem to end, amazing flow to it. Nicely crafted.

Joanny

August 14, 2010 at 5:01 am

20. This is very “MY” kind of poetry.. a certain depth it carries.. wafting onto waters, so lightly.. I am subscribing right away!

And yes, I forgot to introduce myself.. I am

August 14, 2010 at 8:41 am

21. buttercup, Joanny: you are too kind; so glad you enjoyed.

Purvi, welcome! glad this found some resonance with you, and i’ll be stopping by your own site to check you out soon!

ciao
    jsl

August 14, 2010 at 11:24 am

22. awesome!! 😀

August 15, 2010 at 8:37 am

23. wow Fantastic!!!!

August 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm

24. I have an award for you, Siubhan
    Have a good day 🙂

August 16, 2010 at 3:06 am

25. thanks freak & hoiden; appreciate you dropping by. 🙂

Imagina, you are too kind, as ever. Thank you.

August 16, 2010 at 9:43 am

26. a picture that just captures the attention when the post is opened.. your words do it justice.. thank u for sharing 🙂

August 16, 2010 at 10:57 am

27. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/outstanding-blogger-award-plus/

pick three and share with 1 to 10 friends…

thanks!

August 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm

• sorry, jingle. mentioned @ the rally opening this week that i wouldn’t be accepting awards this go-round. 😦

August 18, 2010 at 8:02 am

28. so perfectly written
    vivid…
    🙂

August 17, 2010 at 3:43 am

29. You say a great deal with very little, and that is a gift. Thank you.

I’d be honoured to hear your thoughts on some of my material.

August 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

30. Thanks so much Leonnyes, Anky.

shane, I appreciate your comments and will be by to see your stuff soon 🙂

peace,
    jsl

August 18, 2010 at 8:05 am

31. Pingback: It’s Your Talent, It’s Your Pride (Highlight of Poets’ Rally Week 26) | Promising Poets' Parking Lot

32. mangoesntangoes

Well done, but there certainly is a strong undertone of sadness in the writing.

August 18, 2010 at 9:54 pm

• thanks for dropping in, mangoes. i sometimes think there is little in the world which does not have some undertone of sadness, but poetry can turn it into art.

August 20, 2010 at 10:00 am

• thanks Jingle–i’m honored!

August 26, 2010 at 8:56 am

33. Pingback: Thursday Poets Rally Week 26 Agreement (For First Time Participants or Those Who Wish One’s Work To Be Represented) | Promising Poets' Parking Lot

34. OF all of your poems I’ve read so far, I think this is my favorite. The way you evoke such a subtle but important judgment on yourself steps so slightly you wouldn’t bend a dry leaf. The way you communicate sadness is tragic, and I mean that as a compliment.

crb.

September 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm

• sadness as tragic–I couldn’t possibly take that any other way than as a compliment! I’m thrilled that you’ve found time to look around here, and I want you to know I’m itching to do the same over at your place.

September 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm

35. Joanna, hmmm, after having read several of your others (starting at James Center Starbucks i) and arriving at this one, the conceit was so sharp it dictated / inspired a response (feeble as is may be – ha ha) …

see what you make of it … a bit pedestrian, maybe? …

cheers,
    noxy

January 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

• noxy,

let me say first that i’m forced to be brief here due to technical difficulties, but i just had to risk a quick remark.

i tried several times to put this up as a comment to your piece, but for some reason it kept giving me an error; please consider the following as a response to your not-so-feeble attempts….

that you created this as a response to one of my own pieces totally made my day. 🙂

i like that it seems to meander like the river itself; even the line breaks reinforce it. and i love your artery/vein/capillary tangle; love. it.

be back by your place later!

joanna

January 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm

36. oh my, this is exquisite!

the final (self) judgement is so tortured and so like it stepped right out of my own mind … i related so much to this, every line a quintessential piece of beautiful agony …

January 28, 2011 at 8:52 am

• Thanks, Shell, for your words and for stopping by. I love that phrase, “beautiful agony”; sounds like the very essence of poetry in so many ways. 🙂

jsl

February 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

37. I think so far from what I’ve read from you this is my favorite, I can relate to it … and the line where the sun is strong enough to burn the winter out of your soul, I love it!

August 5, 2011 at 2:35 am

• Thanks, Blaga. I like this one a lot, too. Seems you’ve been going through the archives– I can’t wait to see what you come up with for the final interview. 🙂

August 5, 2011 at 9:42 am