prayers in rough wood

My prayers in rough wood
are strung up with twine and hope,
spiral like incense
to an unhearing heaven,
float back to the ears of men

Who with gentle hands
unfold my finger-petals,
suck out from cupped palm
the splinters of unborn dreams,
catch the bleeding dew of faith.

This poem has been re-posted from its original appearance in Poets for Tsunami Relief, a blog-zine by twitter-friend and colleague Heather Grace Stewart. In keeping with the original intent of the poem, and the publication, I ask that you please consider contributing to relief funds through the Red Cross by clicking on this link or texting (details here). Peace and love,    —jsl

1. beautiful

March 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm

2. i much like this image of prayers carved in rough wood – beautiful words on an up to date topic

March 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

3. this is lovely…and for a great cause as well…it hurts to watch the images…though i hope the prayers are heard…nice one shot….

March 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

4. Absolutely gorgeous, lets hope our prayers are heard

March 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm

5. Beautiful… simply beautiful.

March 15, 2011 at 6:31 pm

6. and we continue to believe…we must believe

Peace, hp

March 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm

7. You bring the supplicant intention of the prayer down to earthly level in the second stanza through flowering-fetal imagery; also through actions meant to heal. Beautiful poem.

March 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm

8. Excellent poem.
    To the point and effective.
    I like this

March 16, 2011 at 5:09 am

9. Its excellent prayer and the beautiful imagery that you have used to bring it all unfolding from your cupped palms.. liked it very much…
    thanks for sharing..

ॐ शांति ॐ
    Om Shanti Om
    May peace be… praying for People of Japan
    ________

March 16, 2011 at 11:16 am

10. Thanks, all, for your kind words and solidarity. Creating beauty from the tragic is for me one of a poet’s highest mandates, all the more so when we can use it to help those in need.

Off for now to check out some One Shots for myself. 🙂

in peace and hope,
    —jsl

March 16, 2011 at 1:16 pm

11. Eloquent poem. Well crafted.

March 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm

12. Beautiful piece of work – thank you for stopping by – I am happy to found your lovely blog…will return…to read and enjoy more of you work…bkm

March 16, 2011 at 3:57 pm

13. I really like this prayerful poem. I brought one of those Japanese prayer cards home from my last trip there. It sits on a bookshelf and serves as a focal point for meditation.

March 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm

14. (sigh)… a pearl indeed.. thanks for sharing this prayer here, Siubhan..
    I join hands with you, my friend, in wishing the best for this land that’s just been thru’ Hell and back..

March 16, 2011 at 9:24 pm

15. Belinda, barbara, Kavita, poemblaze–thanks, all of you. your comments, and your sentiments, are much appreciated.

ps–Belinda–what a great idea, using the prayer card for meditation 🙂

love and hope,