still, life

the city sleeps wrapped
in gray dawns and dreaming

of snow, a different place
from what it was

this time last month,
last week. we pretend

the rain falls only
for the soft echoes

on bedroom rooftops, and i
am reminded

of how slippery
januaries can be,

their hunger
that seeps

through exhaust-
stained glass and

seeds my fingertips
with a dark need

for some sort of
acceptance

in warm flesh
or willing words.

1. You’ve captured the silt that is left by winter after the snow leaves, or the rains recede. You’ve also captured the silt that is left in our hearts for someone to stir up, sweeping clean our emotional winters. Love this, Joanna!

January 24, 2012 at 9:11 am

• thanks so much, Joe. means a lot, from you. 🙂

January 25, 2012 at 7:37 am

2. Your poetry is excellent. Also love the photo. Really reminds me of some of the streets here in St. Louis or in surrounding small towns. The ending is perfect, the whole thing is something everyone has felt but you convey it in just the right words.

January 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm

3. The deprivations of winter sharpen to deepest focus in January, and you capture the heartscape of it perfectly. Dark days, dark needs indeed.

January 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm

• thanks, Brendan. “heartscape.” i like that.

January 25, 2012 at 7:40 am

4. acceptance in warm flesh of willing words…january is an odd month…between christmas and valentines it is a cold month…and i wish we got some snow instead of the cold rain…smiles.

January 24, 2012 at 8:25 pm

• i’m with you on the wishing-for-snow front, brian. *smiles* and you’re right: between the end of the old year and valentine’s can be a long cold stretch…

January 25, 2012 at 7:41 am

5. wonderful moment insights of the colder and darker days and night of this months between the one the best seasons.

January 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm

6. I love this!

January 24, 2012 at 10:39 pm

7. I really like your first two lines and your last six lines as well. A great contemplation on winter. Well done!

January 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm

8. In far too many cities are “wrapped in gray dawns”. But it has nothing to do with the weather. The gray represents the lack of hope to rise above the current economic conditions that expands the bottom strata of society. And the lack of commitment by the government to stop the strangulation of an unbridled capitalism that is destroying the middle class and preventing people from elevating their economic well being.

January 24, 2012 at 10:49 pm

• yes, Carl. the coldness applies to so much more than the weather, especially these days.

January 25, 2012 at 7:43 am

9. the gloomy details flow like tears in this. Nice writing.

January 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm

10. Damn! Somehow I lost track of you but after going through my old shit I found your comment and hence, you and BAM!
    Knocked out by your work again and again…

Peace

January 28, 2012 at 4:05 pm

• hey stranger– so glad you came across me again– not least because it reminds me that i need to check you out too. i’m so terrible at keeping up with everyone. and now i’ve no excuse since we’re even friends according to facebook. expect a visit your (virtual) way soon. so great to hear from you!

February 1, 2012 at 2:51 pm

11. I like your poems very much. I read the sample poem over at your book website. Also stunning. You have a strong voice and images. I love to read good poems.

The problem is that I can’t read white words on a black background for more than a few minutes at a time. It bothers my eyes so much….so I am in a bind. I would love to read more of your work (and will likely order your book of poems), but I can’t really read them here on your blog.

Thanks! twinkly

February 3, 2012 at 5:50 pm

• thanks for your honest feedback. i’d not thought before about the white on black being difficult to read… hmm.

February 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

12. Really like your ‘hand picked’ words. they fall together with gentle nudges and produce an avenue to wander and wonder. Great and also inspiring.

February 10, 2012 at 6:26 am

13. “how slippery Januaries can be” ..What a great phrase! Love the photo. Just right

February 17, 2012 at 9:25 pm

14. Late to see this – I love this one. I love them all, but this is so smoothly communicated and it takes me to that other world. Bravo!

March 7, 2012 at 12:32 am