64 between here & the where the waves break

is a hateful road
no matter why you take it,

one never-ending corridor
of pine and swamp

and rectilinear rear-
view. myself,

i tend to let fly left-
laned, the vanishing

point some place i
shouldn’t be, praying

east or west this
won’t be the time

my brakes give
out before i reach

home.

1. Anonymous

really like this one Ms Muse! There is a clarity of space you discribe and full of passing thoughts. Thanks .. hope your going to be invoived in the 1000 poets gig in september. cheers, andi

March 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

2. I love the desperation in this – in times of sorrow in my past, I’d drive home on the freeway at midnight with my lights on, until I scared my self enough to want to stay alive some more. This was beautiful and sad and mysterious and alive. Loved it. Mosk

March 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm

3. ha…i have driven this road…and hate the slow down around yorktown honestly…when i was living in yorktown and my fam was still here in the burg…i used to just put it downt o get through it…i even blew a tire out on it once…so i would add unforgiving to the verse as well…smiles….

March 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm

4. Nice strong piece!

March 28, 2012 at 9:16 pm

5. Well-thought out driving metaphor, consistently woven throughout the poem. That is the strength of this composition, and I would highlight it as a strength that the writer should continuously strive to perfect.

March 28, 2012 at 10:25 pm

6. Very real and true metaphor. I really hope you’re okay.

March 29, 2012 at 10:54 pm

7. This is a somewhat different poem from those around it: more emphatic and grittier. Equally captivating.

March 31, 2012 at 7:02 am

8. I really like this. I was noticing the other day how many poems I write about being on the road.

April 7, 2012 at 9:42 am