exercise in Southern Gothic

train comes, its wrack
the undisguisably pickled

dregs of hope de-
composing, dreaming acidly

in blue glass, mason. so
much for bloated beginnings,

point-of-departure daggered
summer afternoons in the market

where souls are at auction as
they were lifetimes ago

and charlatans lien awned
forevers under skies that

darken and gradually un-
remember. she presses

thin dress over pale thigh, fights
wind-made wrack in torn fabric,

holds her voice white-knuckled:
what price would you pay

to drain the vinegar,
slough history, begin again?

1. With the crap I’m dealing with right now I’d say that you wrote this for me after a conversation you and I had. Nice

smooches,
    Larie

May 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm

• let’s say that, then. written for Larie. 🙂 glad it found some resonance. hope all the crap lightens up!

May 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm

2. dang..tight…esp. the closure.. there are areas in my life i would pay a high price to be able to begin again…love the title as well

May 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

• thanks, Claudia. there are def. things i’d like a do-over for as well. 🙂

May 24, 2012 at 10:39 pm

3. Southern Gothic – saw Flannery O’Conner at book read at Miami book fair 1985 or so. Dave Barry and Garrison Keillor too !

May 22, 2012 at 5:19 pm

4. i dunno, i am always afraid inteh rewriting that i would screw it up worse than i did the first time you know…smiles…really some nice touches…the mason glass…the train…

next time i roll by i will honk louder…smiles.

May 22, 2012 at 5:25 pm

• thanks, brian. this one really came from a lotta different places, though sometimes i think there really are things i would re-do….

yeah, next time you come by lay on the horn; i’ll up the shades and wave from the window. 🙂

May 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm

5. Love the word “Wrack”. Very well used.

And the closing words are just sublime. Great work.

May 22, 2012 at 8:16 pm

6. ihatepoetry

The heavy cloud of regret lingers here – I liked following the path of this sad daydream. You do melancholy so well, 🙂 thanks Mosk

May 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm

• yeah, i kinda do, don’t i? like it’s a semi-permanent state-of-mind or something… thanks, Mosk. always appreciate hearing from ya.

May 24, 2012 at 10:34 pm

7. Nice details….great poem!

May 24, 2012 at 8:28 pm

8. Pleasure to read…!!!

cloud reader

May 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm

9. First of all, I like the poem. Secondly, not sure what price I would pay but I would probably kill someone to go back to the time in history when I was thin and with a full head of hair.

May 25, 2012 at 9:09 pm

10. Awesome details, images and descriptions. If there is a train to take one back to a point in time one wishes to change, what is the price indeed. Hard to say, somehow I think if it’s possible, you won’t know the price till you come back to the present point again. Interesting poem. 🙂

May 31, 2012 at 7:29 am