augury, in the strictest sense

we walk through thunder,
and there are drawn stormclouds

across your cheeks, brow; like train-
tracks to nowhere, and i’ll hop

the next boxcar, simple as un-
wanting, follow it til i find

the sun buried in your irides.
this metaphor is a railroad:

straight, the slow
unraveling of sudden horizons.

a friend tells me
the story of the red-

tail hawk attacked
sequentially by two crows

and a mockingbird. i
wonder if it’s because they know

jealousy like you do, see its predatory
threat atop every lamppost and

telephone pole.
raindrops like fat clay pigeons hiss

against rusted rails, tear-on-trestle,
black-feathered bullets of omen:

where will you be
when the lightning comes down?

1. One of your better gems – way to go my friend.

June 18, 2012 at 11:23 pm

• thanks, George. πŸ™‚ it has been too long since i’ve seen you at our various poetry functions… or heard any new writing, mmm?

June 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm

2. You use RR a lot. Have you seen film “Emperor of the North ” ?

June 19, 2012 at 6:59 am

• Carl, i have not. maybe i should? i live close to several tracks, and so the trains seem to color a lot of my poems…

June 21, 2012 at 7:01 pm

3. ihatepoetry

I loved this – the metaphor of the railroad and the slow unraveling of circumstances. Great.

June 19, 2012 at 10:54 am

• thank ya kindly, mosk. always happy to see your gravatar ’round here. πŸ™‚

June 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm

4. nice…some really great touches in this joanna….this metaphor is a railroad…the allusion to the story of the birds…and if they know jealousy like you….evocative, real…like it much…

June 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

• ‘preciate it, brian. feel like i’ve been out of it with the writing and posting recently, but that’s passing. seems a while since you’ve been up to rva, no? hope all’s well & whatever sinus infection that was is gone by now.
      peace,
      j

June 21, 2012 at 6:42 pm

5. Stormy. Cool transformations of images — clouds, tracks, the birds. The undercurrent of dark feelings, makes one wonder how things will be. Enjoyed this.

June 21, 2012 at 2:20 am

• thanks. i’ve been big on birds in particular recently, not sure why. there is a definite darkness to this one though.

June 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

6. A great poem, Joanna. Love it πŸ™‚

June 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

7. Love this! This year I have what I call the Indigenous ear for birds, notice the shadows of the big ones on the ground before I look up, etc. The sound of trains I can remember back the farthest. I was asked often to check out the Purple martins of Shockoe Bottom last summer. Some reason I wasn’t interested. If you have the time please let me know when this starts again if it does?

June 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

• though i didn’t see it, i remember hearing about the purple martins last year, but i don’t remember when it was. :/ i’ll keep my ears open!

June 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm