day-dreaming in stolen words

children chase the shadows
of butterflies round a fountain
of stone; pink
blooms of crepe myrtle drift in
the august breeze to land

teasingly on skin, clothes, hair.
she finds it strange
how every man who has ever said
he loves her has also said
you deserve better;

hikes up her skirt to let
the late afternoon sun
kiss knees, thighs;
wonders. the moon
will be small and orange

tonight, a plaything
for summer’s dying gods.
who will kiss
her noon-shadow,
chase the butterfly wings down

the arch of her back, crown
her summer-glow
like a prom queen in pink crepe,
carry her home when
august has ended?

1. Who would? I would! – if I wasn’t already married and, like, a hundred years old. A wonderful, wistful, erotic piece. I’d say, “I love you, and I’m what you deserve!” πŸ™‚ Mosk (in the time machine)

August 31, 2012 at 7:28 pm

• lol Mosk! a hundred?! πŸ™‚

August 31, 2012 at 8:50 pm

2. you deserve better; – standard it’s me not you break up line

August 31, 2012 at 7:59 pm

• and yet strangely it’s never been used in my hearing as such. ever. hm.

August 31, 2012 at 8:49 pm

3. JWB

Well written.

August 31, 2012 at 10:26 pm

• thank you.

September 2, 2012 at 3:05 pm

• JWB

You’re welcome

September 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

4. smiles…love the imagery in this…and feel the twinge as well….love the letting in of the sun…and you know i would tell her to hold out hope…smiles.

September 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm

• thanks, brian. smiles. there is always hope.

September 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

5. I start worrying about the light the day after the summer solstice but don’t really feel it til now and usually there’s a storm that distracts you. The last arc of poems I enjoyed regarding Season.

LOVE this photo, that looks like it was printed in a darkroom rather than digital, Miss you posting on flickr.

September 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

• thanks for dropping by. i am feeling the coming of fall; have sensed the changing of the light and air for a month or more now, which is unusual for me.

the photo is one i took of a fountain up in church hill park, last fall i think, or maybe 2 years ago now. sometimes i surprise myself with the way they come out…. no pictures of late, and it is slightly breaking my heart. my camera has been struggling for a while and finally died a few weeks ago. 😦

September 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

6. Dick Jones

Autumnal indeed! Poignant with a sense of blossom faded and time that cannot be re-wound.

September 4, 2012 at 2:55 am