Your heart

full moon

has grown old.
worn down by the lonelinesses
of a hundred empty homes,
sunken in
like fingers
fallen too long asleep
in a hot bath.

how else
do you show me
the moon,
its silky-
ink silhouette
stained on our back door,
and not kiss me?

plays its thud-thump

through limp veins,
forgetting
how to thunder.
if i could see you
the way the lightning
sees, from inside the storm,
i would find it

damp and dark,
with slow rivers
and huddled walls,
a crumpled fist
written with little scars
but untouched, too,
by moonlight.

1. What longing, what yearning for romance and carelessness and emotion in this poem! Sad.

October 8, 2014 at 2:15 pm

• Thank you, Marina. I think the world in general could do with a little more longing!

October 9, 2014 at 1:04 pm

2. vmarkcovington@comcast.net

Awesome!

October 8, 2014 at 2:21 pm

• glad you liked, Mark. sometimes there’s no other way to fix it than just to write it out. 🙂

October 9, 2014 at 1:05 pm

3. Really liked “if i could see you / the way the lightning / sees, from inside the storm” … great stuff to get the Full Moon Social into gear! Thanks!

October 8, 2014 at 2:30 pm

• Jeff, thanks for the inspiration to do some moon-writing! I still need to check out some of the others who partook.

October 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm

• So glad to have you aboard. Remember to check out the twitter feed for that hashtag. There are some Twitter writers, and some WordPress folks who only posted on Twitter.

October 9, 2014 at 1:16 pm

4. Beautiful images here. The idea of seeing someone the way the lightning sees is very powerful. It makes me think of someone in deep sadness or troubles that cannot see but the storm and needs to see from within but can’t.

October 8, 2014 at 3:41 pm

• so many problems we have with one another are, i think, due to a simple difference in perspective. if only we could all see from inside… Thanks for stopping by, Adriana.

October 9, 2014 at 1:07 pm

5. “There is no monitor that measures love…” but perhaps poetry helps.

October 8, 2014 at 9:25 pm

• yeah, it does! thanks, robert!

October 9, 2014 at 1:08 pm

6. Incredible poetry! Very powerful images.

October 9, 2014 at 12:25 am

• thank you! 🙂

October 9, 2014 at 1:08 pm

7. And this is what you said when you left him? Good. This world is too beautiful and thick with vibrant flowing technicolor, harmonic beauty and breathless passion to share a blood moon with a bloodless love. Excellent poem, my friend, Mosk

October 9, 2014 at 6:50 pm

• You are right, of course, Mosk. Thank you.

October 10, 2014 at 6:45 am

8. JS, can I include your poem in an ebook anthology of contributors to the FullMoonSocial event? It will be available free on my site as a PDF and epub file, and each poem will include a link back to the author’s site. Let me know! I’m putting the anthology together now and plan on releasing it this weekend as a way to commemorate the event. You can write me directly at jeffrey.schwaner@gmail.com. It’s going to be somewhere around 30 pages or so. Hope to hear from you!

October 16, 2014 at 11:05 pm